Following the LHC shutdown there is an ever increasing number of requests for visits of the ALICE cavern. Here are a few things that you have to know and the procedures to follow before organizing a visit to the ALICE underground facilities:
- Visitors younger than 16 years old are not authorized;
- Only official ALICE underground guides can guide visits underground, and training session are not organized on request;
- Your visit can always by cancelled or moved in time if there is a major safety risk, a press visit that requires that the filming team is alone underground or a CERN VIP visit;
- Check with ALICE-VISITS@CERN.CH that your visit is possible for the day that you would like to organize it before taking any forward steps on the organization process;
- Pregnant women and visitors with pacemakers are not authorized on underground visits;
- Once your visit have been agreed by ALICE-VISITS@CERN.CH, you have to create an IMPACT by cloning one of the existing templates as described in the ALICE visits procedure document;
For more detailed information consult the ALICE visits page and read the ALICE visits procedure (EDMS id: 1265819).
The ALICE guides as any other ALICE underground work has to have valid access rights, a personal dosimeter and all the necessary trainings in order to be able to enter the underground ALICE facilities. Among the required training there is the new radiation protection training, which recently was reorganized. In the past this training was half day training in a class room, but now it is divided in two different trainings: 1) a web based training (sir.cern.ch) which covers low risk radiation areas like ALICE and 2) a full day class room training if you have to work in high radiation areas (not the case of ALICE for the moment).
Another web-based training is available and it replaces the level 2 and 3 for the new comers.
If in the past you did the half day radiation protection training, the level 2 and the level 3 you don’t have to do nor the new radiation protection training neither the LS1 training.